Thursday, September 20, 2007

In the beginning...

In 2004 I took up a position at the ANU's Centre for New Media Arts, lecturing in animation. No kidding. Here I am:

http://www.anu.edu.au/newmedia/pages/staff.html

Following earlier careers in design, high school teaching and training, I decided academia was the place to be. So I approached Dr Martyn Jolly and Helen Ennis at the School of Art to discuss potential research projects.

When Martyn asked me what I was interested in, I said, "animation, politics and cartooning". Having no idea myself how all these might fit together, I was surprised and delighted when, after a discussion about making political animations, Martyn suggested that I could "retool the long history of political cartooning to a new media context".

And there it was, a research topic - all I had to do was write up a proposal.

No comments: